Where is the Police Officer ‘Justin Rapp’ Now?

Where is the Police Officer 'Justin Rapp' Now

Where is the Police Officer ‘Justin Rapp’ Now? – “WEB OF MAKE BELIEVE: DEATH, LIES, AND THE INTERNET” is a new true-crime documentary series on Netflix that is divided into six parts. In terms of the central crime, the episodes are essentially inconsistent.

Each of the five stories (told throughout six episodes, except for the final story, which comprises two episodes) offers a unique and terrifying tale. As you watch this, you’ll undoubtedly feel angry, frustrated, and helpless. Nonetheless, you should see this Netflix true-crime series.

‘Death by SWAT,’ the opening episode of Netflix’s ‘Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies, and the Internet,’ focuses on a terrible case that led to Andrew Finch’s death. Apart from looking into the circumstances that led up to the incident, the episode also discusses swatting, a dangerous phenomenon in which someone places a bogus 911 call in order for a SWAT team to be dispatched to a location. One such call resulted in Andrew’s death at the hands of Justin Rapp, a police officer. So, if you’re curious about what happened and where Justin is now, here’s what we know.

Recommended: Lisa Putman Murder: Where Are Jacqueline and Josephine Verellen Now?

Who is Justin Rapp

Who is Justin Rapp? What Did He Do?

A 911 dispatcher in Wichita, Kansas, got a distressing call on December 28, 2017. On the other end of the line, a man stated he had shot his father and was holding his family hostage. Authorities went to the residence after receiving an address and encircled it. Andrew Finch, a 28-year-old man who lives with his family inside, opened the door to see what was causing the ruckus. He was killed by a gunshot wound around ten seconds later.

Nobody was holding their family hostage, according to the investigation. The call had actually come from California, and it had been staged by a man named Tyler Barriss. Shane Gaskill and Casey Viner, two gamers, were involved in the incident after they lost a $1.50 wager on a Call of Duty game online. Casey called Tyler, who was known for swatting, after he died in-game due to Shane shooting him in a friendly fire incident. Shane eventually found it out and gave Tyler his old address, pleading with him to take action.

As a result, Tyler dialed 911 and gave the address. Andrew, on the other hand, was living there with his family and had nothing to do with it. Officer Justin Rapp, who has been on the force since 2010, killed Andrew by pulling the trigger on his gun seconds after he opened the door. A contentious inquiry occurred after authorities discovered the 911 call was a fraud.

Despite Andrew’s family’s request, Justin’s identity was not publicly published at first, as per city protocol. Justin was later revealed to be a US Army veteran who had previously been on the TV show ‘COPS.’ According to the Netflix documentary, he had previously been accused of using excessive force.

However, the district attorney determined in April 2018 that Justin would not be charged because he acted fairly given the circumstances. Justin later testified that he saw Andrew reach for the police officer with his right arm. As a result, Justin fired the trigger once, killing Andrew, fearful that Andrew might imperil their lives by opening fire.

Where is Justin Rapp Today

What Happened to Justin Rapp and Where Is He Now?

After the shooting, Justin was placed on paid leave and assigned to administrative duties. He sued the city for lost pay in October 2019, claiming that despite being cleared by April 2018, he was not allowed to return to regular duties or his second employment until October 2018. Andrew’s family then filed a lawsuit alleging Justin had violated Andrew’s Fourth Amendment rights.

Justin was sued for $25 million by his family. A judge concluded in June 2020 that Justin would not be granted qualified immunity and that the lawsuit may proceed. The case discussed several more officer-related shooting occurrences in Wichita, claiming that many of them were the result of excessive force. Justin has been out of the spotlight since the event. He remained a city police officer until he accepted a position as a police officer at a local university in Wichita. Aside from that, Justin has maintained a low profile while the court proceedings are ongoing.

Must Read: Mark Todd Murder Case: How Did William Pagano Die?