Where is Stephany Flores Ramírez’s Killer ‘Joran Van Der Sloot’ Now?

Joran Van Der Sloot

Where is Joran Van Der Sloot Now? – Joran Van Der Sloot is a Dutch murderer, thief, and con man who is in jail for killing Stephany Flores in Peru in 2010. He is also the main suspect in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005, when she was on vacation.

The Disappearance of Natalee Holloway” on Prime Video looks into what happened to Natalee Holloway, how the investigation went, and how Joran was caught.

Must Read: Gretchen Anthony’s Murder: Where is The Covid Killer Now?

Who Is Joran Van Der Sloot

Who Is Joran Van Der Sloot?

Stephany Flores Ramrez was killed in Lima, Peru, in 2010 by a Dutch man named Joran Andreas Petrus van der Sloot. He was found guilty of murder and sent to prison. He is also the most likely person to have taken Natalee Holloway’s life in 2005. Five years to the day after Holloway went missing, Flores was killed on May 30, 2010. Van der Sloot ran away to Chile, where he was caught and sent back to Peru to be questioned about the murder. On June 7, 2010, he admitted that he had beaten Flores. He later tried to officially take back what he had said, saying that the Peruvian police had scared him and that the FBI had set him up. On June 25, 2010, a Peruvian judge ruled that the confession was true. On January 13, 2012, Van der Sloot was given 28 years in prison for killing Flores. In January 2023, 18 more years were added to his sentence because he sold drugs while he was in prison.

Van der Sloot was and still is the main person of interest in the disappearance of 18-year-old American Natalee Holloway on the island of Aruba on May 30, 2005. Holloway was living there at the time. A federal grand jury in the United States charged Van der Sloot with wire fraud and extortion over Holloway’s whereabouts. No one knows what happened to Holloway.

Both the Holloway and Flores cases got much attention from the media. Time magazine named Van der Sloot’s arrest the top crime story of 2010. From prison, Van der Sloot was in the news worldwide, which caused controversies that led to the investigation and suspension of a number of Peruvian officials.

Which Crimes did Joran Van Der Sloot Do?

The Disappearance of Natalee Holloway

Van der Sloot and two friends from Suriname, brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe, were arrested on June 9, 2005, because they were thought to be responsible for the disappearance of 18-year-old American tourist Natalee Holloway on May 30. Holloway was last seen leaving a nightclub at 1:30 a.m. with the three men and getting into a car. They told different and constantly changing stories about what happened to Holloway. At first, they blamed other people (who were also briefly arrested) and then each other.

The Kalpoes said that all four of them went to the beach together and then took Holloway and van der Sloot to her hotel. Van der Sloot said that the Kalpoes had left him alone on the beach while they took Holloway away. Van der Sloot was the main suspect in the case from the start, and he was the only one who was arrested during the first four months of the investigation. After all the suspects were let go because there wasn’t enough evidence against them, he returned to the Netherlands to get a degree in international business management.

Natalee Holloway
Natalee Holloway

Van der Sloot wrote a book called The Case of Natalee Holloway in 2007. In it, he admitted to lying in his early statements and told another story about how Holloway went missing. The book led to a new search for Holloway’s body in Aruba, and van der Sloot and the Kalpoe brothers were arrested again. Van der Sloot went back to Aruba for a court date, but in December, all three of them were freed again without any charges. In January 2008, Dutch journalist Peter R. de Vries set up a sting to catch van der Sloot lying about being there when Holloway died.

Van der Sloot said that Holloway had a seizure while they were making love on the beach, which Holloway had strongly denied. After he couldn’t save her, he called a friend he only knew as “Daury.” Daury agreed to put her body on a boat and throw it into the ocean without knowing if she was still alive or dead. The court said the video could be shown, but it wasn’t enough to justify van der Sloot’s new arrest without more evidence. Van der Sloot said he had lied again, this time to make a good impression on the undercover reporter who was interviewing him.

He spent a short time in a mental hospital before moving to Bangkok, Thailand. He said he went to Rangit University to study business, but he dropped out soon after and bought a restaurant close to the school. In November, de Vries set up a new sting operation and caught van der Sloot making what looked like plans for the trafficking and prostitution of Thai women in the Netherlands. Around the same time, van der Sloot admitted to giving an interview to Fox News’s “On the Record.”

In that interview, he said he sold Holloway into sexual slavery and blamed his own father, the Kalpoes, and two Aruban police officers, but he later took back what he said. A supposed recording of van der Sloot and his father talking about human trafficking on the phone was played at the same time as the interview. Later, it was found that van der Sloot had made the recording himself by imitating his father’s voice. After his father died in February 2010, Van der Sloot returned to Aruba. He got in touch with Holloway’s mother, Beth’s lawyer, and offered to tell her where her body was for $250,000. The information was false, and van der Sloot got away with the first payment of $25,000 and went to South America, even though Aruban police and the FBI worked together to try to catch him.

Stephany Flores Death

Stephany Flores Death

Van der Sloot arrived in Lima, Peru, on May 14. He was supposed to join the Latin American Poker Tour, but he never paid the entry fee. On May 30, the deadline to pay the fee and the fifth anniversary of Holloway’s disappearance, he played cards with 21-year-old Stephany Flores in a casino and then killed her in his hotel room. Van der Sloot then left Peru with the $11,000, Flores’s ID, credit cards, and jewellery that he had stolen from her. Four days later, he was caught near Curacav, Chile, and given to Peruvian police. Van der Sloot again gave different stories about what happened to Flores, and he offered to say where Holloway’s body was as if he was sent to an Aruban prison. However, there is no extradition treaty between Peru and the Netherlands, so this offer was not taken into account.

In 2012, van der Sloot admitted to killing Flores and stealing from him. He was given a sentence of 28 years in prison. When his time in prison is over, he will be sent to the U.S. to face charges for extorting Beth Holloway. On January 17, 2016, van der Sloot may have told an undercover reporter that he killed Holloway. The reporter quietly recorded the conversation. He also said that the way the investigation was handled was one of the worst things that had ever happened. But Holloway’s parents didn’t believe his confession because they thought it was a publicity stunt.

Modus Operandi

Stephany Flores’s neck was broken when van der Sloot punched her and hit her with a tennis racket during the one murder that was proven to be his. Then, he choked her to death in an unknown way.

Where Is Joran Van Der Sloot Now

Where Is Joran Van Der Sloot Now?

Officials in Peru said that Van der Sloot was the only suspect in the murder case. Interpol put out an international arrest warrant for Van der Sloot because they thought he had run away to Chile and might have planned to go back to Aruba through Argentina. On May 31, 2010, Van der Sloot was seen crossing into Chile at Chacalluta, which is north of Arica. Melody Granadillo, who was his ex-girlfriend, said that he sent her a text message asking for money to buy a ticket back to Aruba.

On June 3, the Investigations Police of Chile stopped Van der Sloot near Curacav. He was in a rented taxi on Highway 68 between the coastal city of Via del Mar and the capital city of Santiago. He was found with a laptop, foreign currency, a business card case, detailed charts of the ocean currents around Lima, and bloody clothes. His phone’s SIM card was missing, so his location couldn’t be tracked by cell phone. He told Chilean police that armed robbers with no names killed Flores because she didn’t listen to their order to be quiet. The Dutch lawyer for Van der Sloot said that his client was going to Santiago to turn himself in. He was then kicked out and taken back to Arica by Chilean police in a Cessna 310. On June 4, he was turned over to Peruvian police at the Chacalluta border crossing.

Van der Sloot went to the Lima police headquarters on June 5, where he was questioned about the murder of Flores. His lawyer, Luz Maria Romero Chinchay, was there with him. A translator from the Dutch embassy helped his defense. He was put in a cell on the seventh floor and told he could call his mother. Guards put Van der Sloot on suicide watch after they heard that he had hit his head on a wall on purpose. On June 10, he was moved to a cell in the central Lima office of the prosecutor.

After being questioned for hours on June 7, 2010, Van der Sloot is said to have admitted to killing Flores. Van der Sloot told Peruvian police in a written confession that he briefly left the hotel to get some coffee and bread, and when he came back, Flores was using his laptop computer without his permission. A police source said that she might have found information about him that links him to Holloway’s disappearance. There was supposedly a fight, and she tried to get away. Van der Sloot said in the written confession above, which was released by Peruvian authorities,

“I did not want to do it. The girl came into my private life, which she had no right to do. I approached her and hit her. She was afraid, we were fighting, and she tried to get away. I took her by the throat and hit her.”

Van der Sloot admitted to “qualified murder” and simple robbery of Flores on January 11, 2012. On January 13, he was found guilty of murder and given a sentence of 28 years in prison. He also has to pay $75,000 to the Flores family. Van der Sloot was sent to Piedras Gordas, a high-security prison north of Lima, a few hours after hearing his sentence. He is expected to get out of jail on June 10, 2038.

Joran Van Der Sloot Wife

In August 2014, Van der Sloot was moved to Challapalca prison, which is in the mountainous South of Peru and has harsh conditions because of its height. Two months later, a Dutch online news service said that other prisoners in Peru had stabbed Van der Sloot and badly hurt him. Peruvian authorities don’t believe Van der Sloot’s wife when she says he stabbed her.

According to reports, Van der Sloot is staying behind bars and married a prison worker. He is the father of a girl child.

Also Read: Sandra Cantu Murder: Where Is Melissa Huckaby Now?