Where Is Las Vegas Survivor Jonathan Smith Now? – The horrific mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada, is described in the Paramount+ documentary “11 Minutes.” On October 1, 2017, a shooter opened fire on the audience while concertgoers were enjoying country music, killing numerous people and injuring many more.
While emergency personnel and authorities were on the site promptly, a few courageous survivors decided to assist in getting people to safety. One such guy, Jonathan Smith, continued to save lives despite suffering a neck injury. Let’s investigate the incident’s specifics and learn where Jonathan is right now, shall we?
— Heather Long (@byHeatherLong) October 2, 2017
Who Is Jonathan Smith?
Jonathan Smith resides in Orange County, California, and is a devoted family man. He intended to surprise his brother Louis Rust. The latter was celebrating his 43rd birthday at the time of the attack by accompanying him to the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada. In addition, their families—three nieces and five additional family members—came along.
On October 1, 2017, ten people watched country music performer Jason Aldean when they heard popping noises nearby. They first thought it was fireworks because everything else was being drowned out by the lights, people, and music.
However, Jonathan soon understood an active shooter was when he saw someone get shot before him. Later, after reflecting on the incident, he said that his first thoughts were to protect his nieces. He started directing those close to him to safety, but they had split up in the stampede. The Orange County native was resolved not to leave anyone behind and even assisted several survivors in finding cover nearby.
However, as fate would have it, Jonathan was wounded in the neck while attempting to assist some young women. Surprisingly, despite blood pouring down his body from the bullet wound, he continued helping people get to safety. Later, Jonathan proclaimed that his shoulder felt warm rather than painful. An law officer eventually requested that a truck drive him and a few other survivors to a neighbouring hospital.
— Eric Williams (@eric_d_williams) October 21, 2017
Where Is Jonathan Smith Now?
When Jonathan was being treated in the hospital, the medical staff discovered that he had a cracked rib, a fractured collarbone, and a bruised lung. In addition, physicians said it was impossible to remove the bullet and warned him that he might have to live the rest of his life with the shell inside. However, Jonathan was adamant about getting better, and after his sister-in-law created a GoFundMe page to support his medical costs, hundreds of people gave it within hours.
In the years to come, Jonathan had to force himself to accept his past. He refused to remove his concert bracelet, saying that it helps him appreciate the value of life, even while the bullet inside his body reminded him of his troubled history. Jonathan also went to Las Vegas in September 2018 to see the massacre scene because he realised he had to deal with what had happened.
Jonathan often says that even though he is fortunate to be alive, he cannot forget the people who perished on that terrible day when he talks about the harrowing event. He also attributes his recovery to his fellow countrymen, saying, “My country family helped me on the days I didn’t even want to walk out of the house. We’re all dealing with the same demons, but as a whole, we can pull through anything.”
According to appearances, Jonathan is a happy man residing in Orange County, California, and is a proud father to three children. In addition, he worked as a printer and copier repairman in addition to becoming a police officer in 2018. However, since then, the survivor has embraced privacy, and we wish him the best.